Thursday, August 30, 2012

One night in Tokyo

Loren @ Woodland Travel here, with the first report on my quick trek through Southeast Asia.

My flight schedule included an overnight stop in Tokyo. The industry term for a flight that gives you this long connection all night is a "forced overnight," but I am an adventure traveler and always look at is as an "opportunity overnight!" So I pushed back my connecting flight from morning to afternoon, and set out to make the most of one night in Tokyo!

With only the night to enjoy, we decided to stay in Roppongi - the heart of Tokyo nightlife. It's where businessmen go for after-work cocktails and where the kids and crazies come out late at night.

We got in very late, and were impressed by the difference in culture: we were walking in a deserted tunnel behind a single woman, and instead of clutching her purse or reaching for her mace like she might in the US, she stopped at the corner and asked us if we needed help finding our hotel!

After checking into our hotel (typical Tokyo - very neat and organized, but super-tiny), we hit Roppongi to find a meal and a nightcap! The streets were buzzing and we were tempted and a little embarrassed that in Tokyo we ate kebabs for our first meal instead of something local. We wandered into a few night clubs ranging from empty to packed and thumping, and by the end of the night were just enjoying people-watching on the streets and the young party people who were making their way home. My broken Japanese phrases were entertaining to a few locals on the street waiting for cabs. Another cultural difference: the poor boyfriend whose drunk girlfriend had passed out on the street. We expressed our sympathy and wanted to help, but he just said "sorry" to us a dozen or more times, apologizing for his girlfriend's regretful behavior.

Satisfied with a fun night out, we went home and to bed to get some rest before our next flight out the following afternoon. With little time in the day, we decided to hit the streets, explore a shop or two, and get a proper Japanese meal. I don't eat any seafood, but always like to try new things while traveling, so my traveling companion dared me to try a sushi roll or two, his treat! I scanned the menu at a local restaurant and decided to one-up him. I ordered the two salmon pieces pictured here, but also noticed something very unusual on the menu. Brace yourself, because that third roll in the picture is raw horse meat!! It was chewy and a bit fatty, but tasted fine. I had no desire ever to eat a horse, but my desire to try new things and come back with great travel stories was enough to get me out of my comfort zone.

Now that I'd experienced the energetic party side of Tokyo, and treated myself to an exotic and authentic Japanese sushi meal, it was time to catch the long bus to Narita Airport, nearly an hour and a half outside of Tokyo to continue my journey in the next country.

Coming up next... The Philippines!

1 comment: